Overview for the year 2012-13
The programme for the year will be as follows:
The journey from appreciation to enjoyment in our Language Package will include the following components:
- Print to screen
- Listening outcomes
- Anthology of poems
- Novels of different genres
- Scripting to a street play
Logical Mathematical Package
Numbers are fundamental in describing the world and, therefore, decoding a symbol system is key to helping children solve problems.
- Number sense and operations (rational numbers, ratio & proportion) patterns and algebra (linear equations, exponents)
- Geometry (triangle, Pythagoras Theorem, constructions, 3D to 2D)
- Data handling (mean, mode, median)
- Measurements and conversions
- Problem solving – applying skillslearnt through the grade
Emphasis will be laid on comprehending and articulating the language of math, which is critical for the child to become less helpless and more competent.
Scientific temperament will be developed through understanding:
- Cause and Effect
- There is nothing random in nature
- Science as a noun and a verb
Moving towards these aims, students will be learning about:
- The Nervous System
- Force and Motion
- Various forms of energy and their uses
- Energy transformations at micro (chemistry) and macro (physics) level.
- In chemistry, the focus will be on physical and chemical reactions, atomic structure and electronic configuration, periodic table, acids and bases, metals and non metals.
In addition to this, they will also study Humanities through:
- Historical Perspective
- People and Places
- Living Earth
The students will enquire into the big question of “Who we are and where we come from?” They will study different eras in Indian History which have led to the India we live in today and the people we are.
The relevance of studying this is for students to understand how the past has affected the present, and how we can learn from it to shape the future.
Students will understand the interdependence of science and technology. They will study how each of the topics discussed in science is inspired by and has led to the development of technology (Dynamo & motor-electricity and magnetism-, moving devices-force and motion-, microscope-cells-, etc.
In IT, students will learn to use computers to solve problems. They would do this through:
- Photoshop, Imageready
- CorelDraw, Illustrator cs (Graphic Softwares),
- Premiere (Video editing software)
They will also be introduced to the basic terminology related to computers that will enable them to make informed choices while buying computers.
We firmly believe that the formative years are character building years. Students develop skills, aptitudes and attitudes that will eventually lead to their well-being. One of the step towards this is the citizenship programme that grade 7 will be undertaking. The students will be engaged with a project they believe in, where they will be the change, and be changed in the process.
Beacons like Inter-Intra personal, Adaptability, Creative Thinking and Craftsmanship will be addressed through the year.
15th April 2013
A whole year gone by, here we are sharing the last fortnight that we have spent with your children. Thank you so much for being part of all the endeavours throughout the year. We indeed value all your partnership this year which has made a lot of experiences worthwhile.
We have spent the last few days closing the loop for the whole year through revisiting all the beacons through different languages of learning. We reflected upon the year gone by and saw that we have indeed changed and grown in our own ways through the ‘Changed I Have’ format. Here we were able to do this with peer and teacher feedback also.
The children have been able to pick their most memorable moments of the year through photographs. This they have put into a PPT to share in the SLC. Equal amount of work has gone into clocking the year in their CV’s. The evidence files that also show their work was also organised. Please do applaud them when they share it all with you.
We culminated our doing good congloms in different groups and grade 6 buddies lead the congloms. They spun a yarn in the form of a story that had the doing good component in it. Finally we took away that ‘Doing Good’ is not only when we come to school or when we are associated with some NGOs but it lies in the smallest of the deeds that we do. Please do encourage them during summer vacations to continue doing good.
- Adolescent reader- ‘Play with the ball, but don’t be one’- expert intervention with Anukul sir- understanding the importance of exercises and learning different exercises according to our fitness and stamina.
- Adolescent reader- ‘Nutrition’ understanding the importance of food for the growth of a healthy body and mind. The main focus was on making the right kind of choices.
- Understanding how exercises and nutrition go hand in hand for proper healthy growth.
The students took their final exams. We reviewed the papers, looking at the general common mistakes and solving them.
Once again thank you for all your support. For any queries or concerns please feel free to contact us.