Overview Grade 3: 2012-2013
The beginning of their journey from Dependence to Independence
The overarching goals that we will be working towards this year are:
- Compare and Contrast
- Cause and Effect
Strategies to move from appreciation to enjoyment. This will be achieved through:
- Print to screen
- Anthology of poems
- Novels of different genres
- Comic Books
- Scripting of a street play
Understanding science as a verb and noun
- Cause and Effect
- There is nothing random in nature
Moving towards this aim, students will be learning about:
Young minds are curious minds, and this can be encouraged through the scientific process of observations, exploration, hypothesis, data interpretation and experimentation. This scientific temperament will be inculcated through:
- Nature Walks
- Lab Interventions
- Thinking Routines
“Why we are what we are”: Students will understand this through the Freedom Struggle of India under:
- Peoples and Places
- Historical Perspective
- Living Earth
Students will understand technology as an answer to the human need inspired by nature. They will understand this through timeline of written communication (Inscriptions, pen/pencil, typewriter, computers, postal letters, photocopier, fax, scanners, email).
In IT, students will learn the skills of using Typing Tutor, Windows (creating files & folders), MS PowerPoint, MS Word, Comic Life, use of Internet as a research and communication tool (Internet, emailing, search engines).
We firmly believe that these formative years are character building years. Children develop skills, aptitudes and attitudes that will eventually lead to their well-being. One of the step towards this is the Citizenship Programme that grade 4 will be undertaking. We will be partnering with Akshay Patra.
The inter-intra personal, adaptability, creative thinking and craftsmanship beacons will also be addressed through the year.
Creativity, inter/intrapersonal, problem solving and craftsmanship skills will be an integral part of all our activities.
15th April 2013
A whole year gone by, here we are sharing the last fortnight that we have spent with your children. Thank you so much for being part of all the endeavours throughout the year. We indeed value all your partnership this year which has made a lot of experiences worthwhile.
We have spent the last few days closing the loop for the whole year through revisiting all the beacons through different languages of learning. We reflected upon the year gone by and saw that we have indeed changed and grown in our own ways through the ‘Çhanged I Have’ format. Here we were able to do this with peer and teacher feedback also.
The children have been able to pick their most memorable moments of the year through photographs. This they have put into a PPT to share in the SLC. Equal amount of work has gone into clocking the year in their CV’s. The evidence files that also show their work was also organised. Please do applaud them when they share it all with you.
We culminated our doing good congloms in different groups and grade 6 buddies lead the congloms. They spun a yarn in the form of a story that had the doing good component in it. Finally we took away that ‘Doing Good’ is not only when we come to school or when we are associated with some NGOs but it lies in the smallest of the deeds that we do. Please do encourage them during summer vacations to continue doing good.
Language Beacon- Moving from appreciation to enjoyment:
- Nandini ma’am came to class and wrote the word ‘scrumptious’. This reminded of the word that we had read when we were reading ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. Through this we could recollect all we did during our ‘Print to Screen’. The recap made all our memories of the various experiences we had, come alive.
- The students read certain points of information on Sikkim. They elaborated the points to write an informative passage on Sikkim.
- The students read a story where they identified the plot. They also identified the events which described the characters.
- The students saw a video and recapped all the elements of a story
- They played a quiz to recall the ginti (numbers) and vocabulary.
- Recap of concepts learnt through a mind map and photographs.
Logical/Mathematical Thinking: to manipulate numbers and find relationship between numbers:
- Itchha ma’am played a game through which we recapped place value.
- Division with math writing
- The students were shown different pictures of all the scientific thinking sessions where they could make connections of what they learnt during that session.
- Nikita ma’am showed a video through which the students could connect to the Skeletal System. Through the recap we got to know that we learnt about it through different languages of learning.
- Making stories with pictures.
- Working on making the SLC
For any further queries please contact us.
Hetal and Khyati