At Riverside the curriculum is designed/developed keeping in mind the age, developmental milestones and overall well-being of the child. The ‘BIG IDEA’ for Grade 1 is :
The students of Grade 1 develop the skill of how to organize the information, access it and use it meaningfully. This is done through the year in many ways.
Language: Using language to interact/communicate with the world
Speaking / Listening:
o Language Development
o Participate in Discussion
o Listening, Questioning, Contributing to the discussion
o Oral Presentation of understanding
o Vocabulary and Concept Development
o Sight words
o Group name
o Compound words (words made up of two different words, eg; sailboat, football)
o Action Words
o Describing words for
o Beginning Reading
o Print Concepts
o Phonemic awareness
o Various Text
o Informational text
o Expository text
o Instructional text
o Literary Text
o Understand the text
o Identify from written text the following:
o If the work is fact or non fiction
o Similarities and differences in the characters or events in the story by the same author
o Sequencing of the story (Beginning – Middle – End)
o Rhythm and Rhyme in poem
o Imaginative writing – sequencing of ideas
o Write complete sentences keeping in mind the sentence structure
o Write short poems / stories
o Spellings – Sight words and phonic words
o Language Conventions : Identify the rules of language when reading and apply them when writing –
o Singular and Plural
o Capitals – first word, names and ‘I’
o Full stop
o Question mark
o Exclamation mark
Term 1 will be introduction to Hindi through listening and speaking (through stories, cinema, songs, etc)
o Identification of the sounds of all the letters – vyanjans only
o Writing and formation of letters
o Reading simple words and sentences without matraas
o Present ideas/thoughts/understanding using the language structure (listening and speaking)
Logical mathematical: Developing number sense
1) Number Sense: Place Value (0-99): Verbal articulation of how the child understands the value of a number by the virtue of its position
- Sequencing- patterning or sequencing and articulating how the sequence follows
2) Number Operation: Understand the relationship between addition and subtraction. Introduction of carry over’s.
- Mathematical representation of the problems and solving it
- Decoding the word problems and solving it
- Creating word problems for a given operation (written)
- Math writing- each child must be given the opportunity to understand and solve a problem and realize when and where will they have a similar situation in their real life.
3) Estimation and Measurement
Calendar – days/weeks/months/year
Time: Use real clocks – by hour
4) Data Interpretation & representing:
1) Number sense (0-999) Place Value
2) Number Operation:
- Understand the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- Introduction of borrowing and carry over
3) Estimation & Measurement:
- Quantify space: heavy and light for weight, long and short for lengths and more and less for capacities.
- Awareness of different standard measuring tools for various purposes
4) Data Interpretation & representing:
- Identification of different denominations
- Combinations to get different amount
- Application of the operations
Building General Awareness: will be done through provocation and the following units:
- Digestive System
The understanding goals and details will be sent through the emails of regular postings and MLV. Students will continue with the Interest Centers, Sports, Thinking Routines, Art and Craft etc. as part of their program.
13th April 2013
Highlights for the students and parents:
Grade – 1 had an opportunity to present their stories at Iscon Mall on 6th April, 2013. They were very confident and led the event.
Buddy Interaction: The students took their buddies for an installation tour to explain the stories of each space. It was pleasure to see the children taking ownership of not only sharing their own installation but also of their peers.
Language Concepts: Using language to interact/ communicate with the world
Children have been recapping all the concepts in language. This fortnight they did reading for comprehension through a worksheet. They are keeping all the language concepts in mind while writing like sentence structure, appropriate punctuation and use of new vocabulary. The children wrote on:
- How would I like to spend my last day in my school.
Children worked on their portfolios to showcase the work that they have done through the year. They have selected their work samples to show their growth from the time they came to Gr-1 to the end of the year. Children are selecting worksheets that show how they have grown in different areas of Language, Math, Program of Inquiry etc.
Hindi Checkpoint - All the letters were recapped through this worksheet.
Logical thinking: Develops Number Sense
Mapping: Children are learning about a new concept of observing things from different views – front view, side view, back view, top view, and bottom view.
- This fortnight the children decided to make the map of their own school.
- They used their understanding and found out the landmarks around the school.
- To apply their understanding they made their own routing starting from Shahibaug under bridge to the school.
Scientific Thinking – Provocation leads to reasoning
We have recapped the different unit of inquiries done through the year. The children enjoyed doing the same in different forms like crossword, word search and worksheet.
o Discussed the relevance of Student Led Conference.
o Self and Peer Evaluation: Children were evaluated on Social & emotional growth by Self, Peers and Teachers. They had to evaluate their grow thin reference to this criteria and rate themselves. Children were very honest and gave feedback based on their understanding and performance throughout the year. It was good to see children having clarity of thoughts at this age.
o Movie time: Kung Fu Panda
Craftsman ship: Understands that quality brings a sense of self worth
- Illustration of different experiences
- Making the little books on plant.
For any concerns you are welcome to call the class teacher on her mobile. We would appreciate if you call before 7 p.m.