Key Stage 2 - Enable (Making Learning Visible - Strategies for Success)
In Key Stage 2, the learning journey becomes very elastic. Children are armed with sufficient competencies and self management and begin to interact with the world with greater complexity. It is elastic in the sense that they are able to move between experiences, to make connections and draw conclusions. They can consciously strategize their encounters to maximise their learning. The teacher energizes the learner with explicit strategies that the learner, in turn, applies consciously, visibly and moves away from helplessness towards independence.
Welcome to yet another exciting new year. It was wonderful to have everyone back after a refreshing summer break.
We spent the first week settling in, renewing relationships, setting the tone and establishing routines. Each grade played a game that provided a takeaway that will be an anchor for the year in terms of class goal and expectations.
We spent time unpacking the year by revisiting the relevance of each beacon and now we are all set to begin the learning journey for 2013-14.
In order to make this journey fruitful, we need to have a strong parent-school partnership and for this, communication is the key. We would like your support in the following ways -
1. Diary – daily updates will be written by the students in the diary. Do spend time to read and sign it everyday
2. Teaching as Learning – students are regularly asked to share at home what they have learned or experienced in school. This not only bridges the school-home gap but also helps the teachers know how clear the students are in their understanding. Your feedback at this point is most important.
3. MLV (Making Learning Visible) – You will be invited to come to school regularly, where the teachers and / or students will make visible what has been done in the class. Your presence for the same is important. The date of the first MLV is given in the update attachment.
4. Updates – we will be sending you fortnightly updates on the 15th and the 30th/31st of each month, via email. We would appreciate you acknowledging that you have received and read them, every time.
5. Mindspark, as you know, is an adaptive self-learning programme, that we take-up every year to help our students develop/enrich logical Mathematical thinking. They need to clock at least 30 minutes a day. Please ensure that they log in at least 5 days a week, to maximise the learning.
6. Reading Log - We believe that reading is very important and in order to inculcate this habit, students should read for at least 15-20 minutes – DAILY - and maintain a reading log to clock it. Please ensure they do this and sign their reading logs every day.
Nikita and Nandini